Date:      04 Jun 2000 23:26:07 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/archivers Makefile ports/archivers/macutil            Makefile ports/archivers/macutil/files md5            ports/archivers/macutil/patches patch-aa ports/archivers/macutil/pkg            COMMENT DESCR PLIST

 * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>

 * Okay, then I vote for moving them. Utilities which extract files from
 * archives belong in the archivers category.

Ok, noted.

However, note that the reason why we originally put them in the
emulators directory is that it is often a very fine line between
emulators and archivers for foreign operating systems.  What
constitutes "emulation" is not easy to define.  For instance, should a
program that can read Apple format floppies be in emulators or
archivers?  What if it can also decode binhex?  Or what about a
program that can read CP/M format floppies?  What if it provided an
interface like the CCP?  (Now I'm dating myself. :)

Also, they are usually grouped together even if their functionality
are diferent, so if we move the extraction-only programs to archivers,
users will have to search both archivers and emulators to find
something that can read binhex.

Anyway.  1-0 is hardly a valid vote.  Anybody else want to comment? :)

Satoshi