Date:      06 May 2000 14:43:38 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: category for xdrawchem

 * From: Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>

 * I vote for a chemistry category.
 *
 * There is overlap in the scientific disciplines and biochemistry is
 * a scientific discipline in its own right.  However, I think most
 * software can be categorized neatly in the traditional discipline names,
 * like biology, chemistry, physics, etc. Even if it is decided to use
 * 'scientific' as a category that is certainly a better description for
 * pure chemistry programs then 'biology' is.

Ok.  The only concern I had is that people said there are many ports
that could belong to both chemistry and biology.  (Maybe I read the
discussion wrong and it was chemistry and biochemistry.)  My
chemical/biological education pretty much ended at high school so
sorry if I'm totally out of clue with this.  (But where does organic
chemistry fit?  I mean, stuff like ADP and ATP.)

Anyway, it seems people think chemistry (inc. biochemistry) is nicely
separated from biology so I'll create the category if I don't hear any
objections in the next couple of days.

As for "science", it can still be created as a catch-all category
which will become the parent of astro, biology, chemistry and math
when we go to multi-levels, but are there still enough ports to put in
there if we create "chemistry"?

Satoshi