Date:      28 Aug 2000 15:44:35 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New variable suggestion: PKGNAMELANGPREFIX

 * From: "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>

 * This is my second try to clean up PKGNAMEPREFIX pollution.
 *
 * Here I'd suggest introducing PKGNAMELANGPREFIX to give a special
 * treatment to language specific prefixes.

I don't like this very much.

This is a generic problem, of a variable (PKGNAMEPREFIX) possibly
being a concatenation of multiple elements.  A generic problem should
be addressed by a generic solution.  Otherwise, we could run in to
similar problems in the future (for instance, what if there is a port
that require two non-lang-specific prefixes?)

 * The main reason is that the current implementation of PKGNAMEPREFIX
 * forces each port to know/care if the port itself or any of its slave
 * ports is lang-specific.

This is not a problem.  A porter surely will know wheter a port has
slave ports that needs its own PKGNAMEPREFIX.  (A master port has to
be written in a certain way anyway. :)

 * Secondly, there is no way to judge if a PKGNAMEPREFIX is
 * lang-specific.  Having PKGNAMELANGPREFIX separate from PKGNAMEPREFIX
 * would makes it easier for a cross-language master-slave port to check
 * what language it should be configured for.

Again, same (non-)problem.

By the way, if a master port wants to know which language it is
dealing with, the better way would be to pass an extra variable, not
overloading PKGNAMEPREFIX.  That is what most master/slave ports do
(RESOLUTION, PAPERSIZE, etc...).

Satoshi