Date:      18 Jan 2003 16:12:19 +0100
From:      "clemens fischer" <ino-qc@spotteswoode.de.eu.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org, "Stefan `Sec` Zehl" <sec@42.org>
Cc:        "Thomas E. Dickey" <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
Subject:   Fwd: lynx-dev  [CHRPM] lynx-2.8.5-0.11mdk.dev.8

--=-=-=

hi.

there has been diskussion on the lynx-dev list on the license.  lynx
(text browser) isn't GPL, but one cannot say that it is in the public
domain, either.  numerous people have contributed over time, some of
which cannot be contacted anymore.  there are japanese/CJK versions
floating around and parts of the code can't be attributed to anybody
anymore.

thomas dickey, lynx' main maintainer and most people on the list would
like to have this issue cleared up, so that we might opt for making it
a source-forge/savannah project or whatever.

what is your opinion in this matter?  do you have any information on
who wrote what under which license?

regards,

  clemens fischer

--=-=-=

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:02:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas E. Dickey" <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
To: <lynx-dev@sig.net>
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [CHRPM] lynx-2.8.5-0.11mdk.dev.8
Sender: owner-lynx-dev@sig.net

On 19 Nov 2002, Clemens Fischer wrote:

> Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>:
>
> >> how about this:  everybody ever contributing to lynx source and/or
> >> documentation shall send an email to thomas dickey giving him the
> >> copyright to these parts.
> >
> > That would be hard (not all contributors can be contacted).
>
> ... within reasonable limits of time.  i think if we'd post to this
> list and maybe on slashdot or somesuch medium, email them and wait a
> month, this is what i'd call reasonable.  also, we should contact the
> FSF about this, and freebsd.  eg. freebsd has lynx in it's base
> distribution at a critical point (important documentation will be
> installed in HTML, and lynx for viewing it).
>
> want me to ask?

sure - go ahead.  It might be a good way to go.

--
T.E.Dickey <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
http://invisible-island.net

--=-=-=--