Date:      31 Mar 1998 11:02:42 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: radius, how to enable/diable logins on different type of NAS ?

Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com> writes:

> I'm using radius as authorization protocol for every kind of
> NAS (network access router). I have two kinds of access servers:
> 	USR for modem dialin and
> 	Cisco router for router dialup
>
> Is there a way to define different kind of users within radius config
> like:	- "modem"
> 	- "router"
> and teach every network access server, that he should only accept
> users of type modem or of type router ?

Livingston v2 supports auth where it can check the user against
groups in /etc/group presumably (I haven't used this yet). But if
you're not a Livingston customer, then the license doesn't let you use
the SW.

I've hacked the old free Livingston code as modified by Ascend to do a
couple site-specific things here and it's not that hard. Could
probably add a Dictionary entry for check-item

	Site-Hack-Group = "router"

etc, and then do a getpwent() or something to compare the groups.

Hummm... what this world need is a GRADIENT, a GNU RADIUS with full
source and all the extended features (groups, checks for multiple
logins, etc). Or maybe that's GRODIEST...