Date:      08 Feb 1999 03:01:50 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, nsouch@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding tcpdump and plip

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
> > I'd really, *really* like to rip out the lpt driver, since its
> > functionality is completely duplicated by the nlpt and lpip drivers,
> > which seem pretty stable now.
> This was actually meant to happen a while back, and I should be wearing
> the pointy hat for it.  The last stumbling block was lack of linux-mode
> compatibility in lpip, which was fixed ages ago.

Plip has always had Linux compatibility mode, since the code for plip
was taken from lpt, which has had it for at least a year - way longer
than ppbus has existed anyway.

One interesting anectode is that a friend of mine (Per Kristian
Gjermshus, one of the authors of LXR) tried to use PLIP between his
home box and his laptop (both RedHat Linux boxen). No workee. His
Linux laptop would talk to my FreeBSD laptop just fine, but refused to
talk to other Linux boxen, so apparently it's Linux that lacks a Linux
compatibility mode, not FreeBSD :)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no