Date:      19 Dec 2000 10:25:46 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jmz@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 Port

Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> The real solution is for x11/XFree86-4 to be completely gutted and
> turned into a meta-port, depending on all of the other XFree86-4
> components.

No.

> This was the original goal, and I have no idea (nor does it cease
> to amaze me) why it hasn't been done.

Because until XFree86 get a grip and start distributing their sources
in a more reasonable format, each of the subports would need to unpack
the entire 200-megabyte XFree86 source code and build significant
portions of it - and if you have five subports, you end up with five
copies of the source code (totalling one gigabyte!) plus assorted
binaries before you get the chance to 'make clean'.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org