Date:      09 Jan 1999 20:02:14 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl descriptions

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> writes:
> In message <86u2y0btan.fsf@niobe.ewox.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> >The attached patches implement a mechanism for retrieving a sysctl's
> >description. I haven't tested the patches yet, but they compile
> >cleanly against a fairly recent (couple of hours old) -current.
> This was deliberately not done initially, sticking goops of ascii
> in the kernel doesn't seem optimal.
>
> The intention was to have a program perambulate /sys and gather
> the stuff into a man-page or share/misc/sysctl.desc file or similar

<rant>
OK, let's just ignore that somebody has spent time and effort to
produce actual, working, value-adding code, since we already have
vaporware which may or may not become real code some day, and may save
us from a 0.04% increase¹ of the size of the kernel at the expense of
adding yet more complexity to an already burdened build system.
</rant>

If having sysctl descriptions in the kernel really is a problem for
some people, it's trivial to add a kernel option to disable my code.

How will the system you describe deal with sysctls located in
third-party, binary-only KLDs?

¹ Yes, I measured. It'll be a little more when all sysctls have
descriptions.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no