Date:      07 Feb 2001 20:24:18 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Matthew Luckie <mjl@SDSC.EDU>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: syscall kernel modules on 3.0-release

Matthew Luckie <mjl@SDSC.EDU> writes:
> I have written a KLD module that implements a syscall
> I wrote this module on 3.2-release, although this module is going to be
> used on a 3.0-release machine

Don't run 3.0.

> Is it possible for me to hack my kernel module to work on freebsd
> 3.0-release?

Don't run 3.0.

> So my question is, is it possible for me to hack my kernel module to work
> on FreeBSD 3.0-release?

Don't run 3.0.

Even when released, 3.0 was not meant for production use, or in fact
any use at all except by developers and those interested in helping
out debugging RELENG_3 so we would one day be able to call it -STABLE.
It's quite conceivably the most buggy and incomplete FreeBSD release
ever. So allow me to repeat my advice:

Don't run 3.0.

In fact, don't run any kind of 3.x at all, since we stopped fixing
bugs (except for some, but not all, known security holes) about half a
year ago. If you absolutely must run RELENG_3, don't run anything but
the very latest 3.5-STABLE (cvsup and cvs are your friends).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org