Date:      07 Nov 2000 23:50:55 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Green/Yellow/Red state for the VM system.

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> IP:
> 	Yellow:
> 		Expire cloned routes faster.
> 		Stop generating ICMP packets.
> 		Stop forwarding packets.

              + Stop passing packets to bpf (which IIRC needs to
                duplicate them, which eats mbufs)

> 	Red:
> 		Expire all cloned routes now.

              + If running dummynet, drop everything that enters a
                pipe as if that pipe was full.

> TCP:
> 	Yellow:
> 		Accept no new TCP connections.
> 		Reduce outgoing TCP windows.
> 		Drop all sessions which have not passed
> 		a packet in the last N seconds.
>
> 	Red:
> 		Drop all un-assembled fragments.
> 		Drop all "final-stages" TCP pcbs.

                (i.e. CLOSING, FIN_WAIT_1, FIN_WAIT_2 or TIME_WAIT)

> 		Drop all sessions which have not passed
> 		a packet in the last M seconds. (M << N)

              + Drop connections that are in SYN_RECEIVED state

> Now, before anyone starts point indignated fingers in RFC's and
> other such moral high-ground, let me just make it perfectly clear
> that YELLOW isn't set until the system detects the risk of meltdown
> and RED is the meltdown.

Personally, if violating an RFC can keep my server from panicking when
attacked, then the RFC can go take a hike (as I think I've already
demonstrated with TCP_RESTRICT_RST and TCP_DROP_SYNFIN)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org