Date:      Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:10:35 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        Juan Francisco Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, snap-user@kame.net
Subject:   Re: Sysctl and root privileges, how could I avoid them ?

> I'm implementing a modification in the
> file "getaddrinfo.c", which calls a sysctlbyname
> function, but the problem is that
> this sysctlbyname function call requires "root" privileges.

> But I can not expect all the programs linked to
> libinet6 (where getaddrinfo is used) to be executed as root !

Perhaps your code tries the write operation of sysctl, in which case
the super user privilege is required by default.  If your goal can be
achieved without a write operation, the easiest way would be to just
avoid the write.  If you really need a write operation for every user,
you may probably have to reconsider the library design.  Since sysctl
tends to affect fundamental behavior of kernel, the required privilege
is basically reasonable and should not be overridden as an easy
compromise.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.