Date:      09 Oct 1999 22:04:24 +0000
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier), winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver for GDT6517RD RAID controller

"Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:
>> and also in qualifying drives for production), and finding out if FreeBSD
>> supports Section 10 of CAM (target mode), since I was one of the people who
>> wrote that section.  If it doesn't, I may look at adding support to (a) SIM
>> for that.  I had some of the (NCR) code written to do so for the 710; that
>> code might be applicable, or serve as a guideline.
>
>It looks like target mode is covered in section 11 of the CAM-2 spec and
>section 12 of the CAM-3 spec.

	Aha, they renumbered the sections from between the CAM2 draft and
final I guess (it's been a while).  We did a total rewrite of the section;
the original draft was totally non-implementable (and pretty useless even if
you worked around the problems).

>In any case, FreeBSD does support target mode.  The only chips it currently
>works for are the Adaptec 7890/1 and 7896/7.  It may also work on the 7895,
>although I'm not positive about that.  (Justin would know.)  Those are the
>only Adaptec chips with the instruction space needed to fit the target mode
>Adaptec firmware.

	Cool.  Perhaps I'll look at adding target mode to some of the
NCR 53xNNN* chips; they certainly can support it.  Thanks for the info.

	Has anyone here used target-mode?  Or written an IP transport layer
on top of it?

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com