Date:      04 Dec 1999 23:12:54 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portable way to compare struct stat's?

Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se> writes:
>Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com> writes:
>> 	Sounds like what we'd want to build it upon.  If the FS doesn't
>> support it, use st_dev/st_ino.
>
>Actually, since it's in the kernel, the default implementation of the
>vnode operation might be:
>
>int
>vop_default_cmp (struct vnode *v1, struct vnode *v2)
>{
>  return v1 == v2;
>}

	Sure, depending on what's in a vnode (I haven't looked).
I was really thinking of the kernel; I don't know how much of the
interior filesystem structure is exposed to the kernel; I was assuming
that vnodes are something that's opaque (or mostly so) to the kernel,
and are interpreted by the filesystem that created them.

>Or did you mean a fallback in the library function for when the kernel
>doesn't provide the fdcmp (or whatever) system call?  That could be
>something like:

	That's what I was thinking of, partially.  It makes binaries
more transportable, and source if we can get Linux/etc to add it to
their libraries.

>> The real problem is getting people to switch.
>
>You mean application programs?  Sure, but the only thing we can do
>about that is implementing support for it, right?

	Right; that's where to start.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com