Date:      12 Jan 2001 01:00:36 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <cvs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: overzealous cleaning of Attics in ports tree

First, let me state that Peter Wemm, our CVS repository manager,
recently contacted me about cleaning up the Attic and I gave him a
go-ahead.

 * From: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>

 * Where has the history for those files gone?  What about the ones in the

This is customary in the ports tree.  As you may have seen in the
past, the ports tree will undergo a periodic Attic cleansing.  There
will be way too many dead files lying about otherwise.  (By the way,
the reason why I am so adamant about having repo-copies done when a
replacement port enters a tree is precisely because of this.)

That said, it seems like indeed Peter got a little overzealous.  I
thought we were supposed to only delete files that have been in the
Attic for some time, not all Attics.

Doesn't this cause problems for people who checked out the tree
recently (and since have a file moved to the Attic)?

Satoshi