Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 20:09:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      <snowfox@Mcs.Net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   An Explosion at the Bazaar

An Explosion at the Bazaar

I've thought of writing a series of documents along these lines
for some time, and today's Halloween document made me itch. I saw
a lot of my own ideas in this document and its thoughtful
analysis, and new ones exploded within me. A hefty thank-you to
Microsoft(?) and everyone who had something to say about the
document.

I'd be interested in knowing whether others share an interest in
this type of analysis and proposal. Given some feedback, I plan
to edit the following document and find a home for it on the web,
possibly splitting it into three more documents and creating a
discussion board for each. Other needful topics I'd like to give
voice to are:

OSS implementation of open protocols for closed systems

Visual system and deployment diagramming (UML)

The discussion, advancement and enhanced visibility of mature
software development methodologies

C++ migration and component interfacing

The ongoing application of use cases and use studies against a
broader market

An active, unified PR unit

A developer support unit targeting hopeful new programmers

A graphical design unit

Programmer- and artist-target PR and recruiting units

A non-monetary reward (recognition) program

The first, rough draft then -

An Explosion at the Bazaar - Are We Ready?

Open Source Software is at a critical juncture. Various OSS UNIX
flavors are gaining greater visibility every day. Intel, Oracle,
Sun, Silicon Graphics, all the major players are buying into the
OSS development model. RedHat stands ready to break new ground,
not only in corporate environments, but also in end-users' homes.
Advocacy groups are leveraging the current Microsoft court fiasco
to raise the visibility of OSS projects and the promises that
they deliver upon. OSS projects have never been so well known as
they are today.

But are we ready? Can we maintain the integrity of the OSS
promise and support it through the phenomenal growth ahead? I
believe this is a critical question; let me restate it: As OSS
projects realize new applications and user bases, can they
continue to be successfully deployed?

The traditional OSS user has been a technically adept UNIX
technician or a technical hobbyist. The UNIX technician learns
and understands the complexities of system operation. His job
depends on it, and the intricate understanding of the system
necessary to make it function is his key asset. The hobbyist
thrives on the complexities of system operation; her love for the
software being used is often seeded in the very fact that it can
be difficult to deploy. This creates the critical sense of
ownership of the system and the necessary knowledge - this is,
indeed, the very same attraction that has pushed technically
adept users to embrace and extend OSS!

The State of the System

The Internet has grown at an alarming rate. Intranets:
exponentially. Company LANs are standard. Corporations and
consumer alike have realized the incredible benefits they offer.
The need for new installations has exploded. This has
necessitated the induction of individuals to staff IT divisions
who are no longer technically adept; the existing pools have been
long-exhausted. The result of this is that package solutions,
usually provided by Microsoft, have become the rule. Smaller
departments and organizations adopt these closed technologies,
and as these departments grow, few are willing to replace the
underlying technologies. "If it works, don't fix it."

It is equally true that new computer users are paying a premium
for easy-to-use, out of box solutions. Windows is almost
universally the law in homes everywhere. And where the consumers
go, the industry follows. This is true not only of consumer
application development, but in skill base as well. Little Johnny
makes good with a year's Windows experience and becomes the next
IT department head on hobbyist skills alone is no longer the
exception. It has fast become the standard.

Ease of Use, Desirability of Deployment

If the rapid growth of closed software is the problem, there is
but a single response available to the OSS community: OSS must
become simple to install, easier to use. OSS already represents
the smallest purchase price. An operating system comparable to
Windows NT can be had overnight at no cost to a person with a
modem and a brave heart. Similarly, a CD-ROM set can be purchased
with RedHat Linux or FreeBSD as well as an incredible suite of
powerful applications for less than the cost of Windows 98. But
does OSS represent the lowest TCO for a corporation, the easiest
route for the new consumer? No.

Both packages still require an extensive skill-set. On installing
RedHat, one is faced with DiskDruid and a dead end if she isn't
aware of just what partitions need to be created in order to
create a functioning UNIX system. On installing FreeBSD, the user
often needs to remove and adjust device configurations to merely
load the installation utility.

Both packages, even in their simplest and most straightforward
modes of installation, present the user with a confounding number
of technical details and alarming questions. It is entirely
unreasonable to expect a user to know what I/O ports and
interrupts are in use, or to think that they won't panic or feel
so intimidated as to be insulted when they see a stream of ed0,
sd0, ttyp1, etc. roll by. The simple, common response is to call
the operating system a farce and turn toward the pretty vision of
Windows and its graphical installation. I believe it would be
rare for an individual without an organizational mandate or an
attack of "alternative techno lust" to complete the installation.
And certainly, neither OS is something I'd recommend to my mother
when she asks, "Do you think you could set me up for e-mail?"

Did you laugh? There's a critical point here, and a very good
example of what I've just explained. I gave her DOS and she
brought those skills to a large educational institution. Once
they decided computers might be a nice way of managing their
accounting, they turned to the accountant with computer
experience and DOS became the rule. Later I gave her Windows, and
she took those skills to her new job at the Northern Illinois
Library System, which now thrives entirely on Windows '98 and
Windows NT. NILS is now funding and educating smaller libraries
that wish to deploy Internet connectivity. Consumers are now
going to the library for their first taste of computing and all
that it has to offer, and that first taste is a closed operating
system with a well-known label.

What if she'd been able to place a CD-ROM in her machine and fall
in love with a little red daemon bouncing across the screen? He'd
have been willing to ask her name and perhaps a password and do
the rest for her. I wish she'd met a suave agent in a red hat,
one who'd simply said, "Let me take care of the details, hon. The
software's on me."

At most, a user should be presented with a single, attractive
screen of user options with a brave "Expert" button for the
veteran. The rest of the installation should have been automated.
A window manager with a reasonable set of default programs, all
networking services intact, a daily help tip and an avatar
helping with "Learning Experiments" for the curious... this
should be the default installation. The rest would have been
history: We would have seen Thousands of new installations
stemming from her alone.

What Do We Need?

Firstly, it would be fair to acknowledge that Linux and FreeBSD
have made commendably strong steps toward a Windows level of Plug
and Play functionality. And while each comes closer every day,
neither has yet met or surpassed it. Meeting the Windows ante in
this regard is of absolute, critical importance!

Secondly, I haven't seen the kind of focus on simple installation
and wide deployment that is going to establish OSS of any type as
a mainstream product by making it accessible to today's new IT
professional or the home user, tomorrow's professional. The time
for this came long ago, and the OSS effort will continue to
suffer for it every day that it doesn't exist.

Plug and Play

With the advent of Plug and Play standards and the
standardization of PCI and PCMCIA peripherals, Plug and Play has
become a much more attainable goal. OSS development efforts have
taken advantage of this. Legacy hardware will, however, be around
for some time. If hardware needs to be disabled or removed to
complete an install however, this is an error, a product defect.
I've heard the Windows pundits chuckling over Microsoft's alleged
mistake in destroying installations if users attempt to upgrade
to Windows 98 with certain removable media devices powered on. Is
locking during the install if FreeBSD hasn't correctly detected
my Adaptec SCSI controller any less of an error?

To see these errors removed, these types of device conflicts must
be resolved more gracefully. The system must be scrubbed and
analyzed, and to best do this, we need a concerted effort between
all OSS OS developers. A common, accessible table of known
hardware types and their appropriate drivers must be created.
Problems which arise from incorrect hardware detection and how to
resolve them must be made public knowledge. Teams shouldn't have
to analyze each others' source to discover what works.

I'm sure many of us remember the pains the XFree86 team took to
elicit Diamond's and S3's cooperation in creating accelerated
servers for their hardware. The effort would be furthered by a
unified OSS driver division, capable of eliciting support and
cooperation from hardware manufacturers. This can be accomplished
by making UNIX support a desirable commodity, thus forcing
manufacturers to aide the driver developers. How? The first step
is branding.

Create an "OSS Ready," or a "UNIX Ready" emblem, owned by the
FSS. Allow cooperative manufacturers to display the emblem on
their packaging. The manufacturers would then have a new selling
point at little or no cost. And once a strong hardware
manufacturer realizes the value in this and makes it an
advertising commodity, other hardware manufacturers will be
forced to follow suit. The development teams will be blessed with
early hardware prototypes, ready documentation and the
accessibility of the manufacturers' support engineers. And OSS OS
projects will be able to leverage the higher visibility of open
operating systems in further advertising efforts.

Ease of Installation

Currently, I know of no simple facility for creating easy
installation applications. A standard suite of libraries need to
be created to control an installation and configuration engine.
RPM and FreeBSD packages are a step in the proper direction,
however placing files is only the first step to a useful
installation. Managing installed packages should be handled in a
clean, orthogonal fashion. The same interface needs to be
available to all packages which don't provide native graphical
configuration options. If a clean configurator exists, if
developers only need to create simple scripts for user actions
and refashion man pages to allow inline links from the
installation procedure, they WILL do it. This ease of
configuration needs to exist from the moment the user is first
asked a question. Reasonable defaults and aide in discerning the
various options needs to exist from the first boot onward. This
is the single step that could push the OSS OS ahead of systems
such as Windows NT.

Can you see a day where the new lone IT professional sits there,
scratching his head and wondering what a Windows Primary Domain
Controller is, thinking it might be easier to lead his company
back to the helpful daemon after all?

(Microsoft, Windows 98, Windows NT, Adaptec, Diamond, Plug-n-
Play, RPM and Red Hat are registered trademarks. The author
makes no claims of trademark ownership herein.)