Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 17:21:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /boot.foo madness

According to Mikael Karpberg:
[... snip ...]
> I think the second alternative sounds ok, with a small change.
>
> There should be no problem with the files being in the bindist, should it?
> In case of an upgrade you simply save those files, if they exist,
> just like you save /etc, and then in the "post install fixup" you check
> the "save directory" for those files, and if they exist you move the new
> files (which might contain something the user may want to see) to
> /boot.foo.new, and put his old files back into position. Or am I missing
> something? :-)

I have to comment on my own suggestion here, actually.

The above scheme would seem appropriate for the /boot.foo files, except
that maybe the /boot.help file should be the newest, and therefor the
old file should be called /boot.help.old instead of the new one being
called /boot.help.new. But that's all easilly solvable in the post
install fixup thingie. :-)

  /Mikael