Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:29:44 +0100
From:      tom@uces.bangor.ac.uk (Tom Crummey (ADM))
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CR-ROM

Hello,

I've found the the atapi floppy for freebsd-2.1 RELEASE does not recognise
many ATAPI CDROM's, yet when I build a custom kernel I can use the CDROM.
In all cases the CDROM has been on a second IDE controller with no other
devices. The change that seems to make things work is to remove the probe
for wd2 and wd3 from the kernel and make sure the CD-ROM is the master
device on the second IDE bus.

You could therefore try booting with kernel -c and removing the wd2 and wd3
devices and see what happens.

Tom.

 Tom Crummey,                    EMAIL: tom@uces.bangor.ac.uk |     /\
 University of Wales, Bangor,                                 |    /  \/\
 Unit for Coastal and Estuarine Studies,                      | /\/    \ \
 Ynys Faelog, Menai Bridge,           TEL: +44 (0)1248 713808 |/  ======\=\
 Gwynedd, LL59 5EY, U.K.              FAX: +44 (0)1248 716729 | B A N G O R