Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:17:35 -0700
From:      Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <UZS106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Hi, yes, more or less, thanks for this URL ! There is a link to those crazy
> peoples in Cupertino suing somebody. Business Week had a report some time
> ago about a computer design price, I think 5 prices, 4 going to Corea, 1 to
> Apple... Yes, we are just at the beginning of the computer age and what to
> do, how to use computers isnt develloped yet, and those people in Corea
> think, maybe they are right as far as germany is concerned, that they are
> insofar at least 10 years ahead of us.

If you're talking about building form into function, yes.  Germany
and parts of Eastern Europe and Asia come out with some very nice
designs.  American companies would all seem to have hot rod syndrome,
spurred on by fat wallets and mad gamers.

I'd be happy to sacrifice some performance if it meant Dell (or some
equally respectable system maker) would start offering laquered,
swirl-brushed steel enclosures with gold trim.

> Imacs dont have floppy drives anymore, anyway....and I have seen it only
> with lynx, dont know whats inside, if they allow standard parts to be used.
> This is a crucial point.

If you mean the Apple iMac, they never did.  Apple sells an external
USB LS-120 drive (reads 3.5" floppies and LS-120 disks).  Never did
care much for the LS-120 drive, really noisy and unreliable.

The guts of an Emachine?  They use Cyrix boards and CPUs.

> Btw, on the mentioned link, there is another link to this very old lawsuit
> against Windoze... Have you seen KDEs Zoomeffect ? ... ;-)

KDE?  :-)