Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/src/lib/libtelnet - why?

Somebody came to me the other day and said "hey, you know how ppp
will let you talk to a modem device, right?  Wouldn't it be neat if
that modem device could also be remote, like on a terminal server?
At some special host/port combination, like Ciscos and Ascends do it?"

Well, I agreed that it would indeed be kinda neat so I went off
to figure out how telnet negotiation is done given a raw connection
to some port (since all the terminal servers I have around here
implement telnet semantics and don't work right with the simplistic
"netcat" sorts of solutions).  And here's my point:

   1. There does not, it would appear, exist any reasonable API
      and library for handling this kind of stuff, leaving the actual
      UI details up a layer where you'd think they should be.  That
      kinda sucks since anybody wanting to communicate over a socket
      with telnet protocol (who's not telnet) has to reimplement this
      all from scratch.

   2. The libtelnet that we do have appears to contain almost nothing,
      and certainly very little which would appear to need its own
      library.  What was the idea here - just to separate out the DES
      stuff?

Thanks!

					Jordan