Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:00:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Chris Casey <chriss@phys.ksu.edu>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XP1000/Linux/things

Chris Casey writes:
 > On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:
 > >
 > > You can type 'ls' at the loader prompt (before it boots) to see what
 > > files are on / (or on /boot/kernel/* for -current)
 > >

 > Thats the thing, i never get to a loader prompt, it bails out aparently
 > when its trying to load the kernel before it gives the option to boot or
 > get the loader prompt. This disk has been messed with with linux fdisk, I
 > see no fdiskish utils in sysinstall. Does sysinstall do any
 > checks/reorganizing on the disk when it lays out the fs?
 >
 > oh.. my retry from the 4.1-install.iso just finished, and it seems that
 > that one works fine. So its something on the 4.1.1 that doesnt get along
 > with this machine. At least its alive now.

If you have a chance (and don't mind trashing your machine), can you
install the boot1 bootstrap from the 4.1.1 CD?  If you see the same
behaviour (ksp not valid) then the 1st stage boostrap is what's messed
up, not the second stage (loader).

You should be able to install boot1 from the 4.1 CD the same way you
did above to back out if this.

Thanks,

Drew