Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:55:16 -0800
From:      Anand <anand@blandings.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mozilla able to permanently leak shm

Ben Jackson quoth:
> If I start mozilla (build id 2001010517) once it makes 6 shared memory
> segments.  If it exits cleanly it removes them.  If it coredumps or I
> have to kill it the segments are left around, and ipcrm won't delete
> them:
>
> $ ipcs -m
> Shared Memory:
> T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP
> m 458752          0 --rwarwarwa      bjj    admin
> m  65537          0 --rwarwarwa      bjj    admin
> m  65538          0 --rwarwarwa      bjj    admin
> m  65539          0 --rwarwarwa      bjj    admin
> m  65540          0 --rwarwarwa      bjj    admin
> m  65541          0 --rwarwarwa      bjj    admin
>
> $ ipcrm -m 458752
> ipcrm: shmid(458752): : Invalid argument
>
> I didn't notice this until just now, when I had to reboot becuase my
> machine was totally out of segments.
>
> FreeBSD pulsar.home.ben.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #2: Tue Dec 26 20:17:22 PST 2000     bjj@pulsar.home.ben.com:/a/src/sys/compile/PULSAR  i386

I've had the same problem. And it's not just with mozilla but also with
gnome etc. After my X session has been running for a while (with gnome
and sawfish), new gnome apps complain of shmget failing. Quitting gnome
and sawfish doesn't seem to get rid of the shm segments. And I can't
seem to remove them manually either.

It's turning ou tto be quite a pain in the ass.

Anand
--
Anand Ranganathan			anand@blandings.com
Random Wodehouse nugget: