Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 15:52:57 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        George Halek <bsdlist@cr343877-a.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk geometry question.

[this should be sent to -questions]

George Halek wrote:

> I know I have a disk geometry problem because I get the "Missing Operating
> System" message.
>
> I mucked around with the geometry because I wanted to max. the usage of
> the blocks. The geometry which sysinstall assigned wasted about 5M of disk
> space.
>
> I am running a AMI bios 486 with a 1G scsi drive using the Adaptec VESA
> 284X controller.
>
> I tried to max the blocks by using a geometry with 1 head, 63 sectors and
> some very high cylinder number. I though this was possible because SCSI
> allows you to map the drive however you wish. However this does not seem
> to work.
>
> Even though I am using an ADAPTEC controller which has its own bios. Am I
> still contrained by some parameters?
> Eg. Boot partition within 1024 cylinders.
>         64 sector max.
>         17 head max.
>  or anyting like that?

IIRC, unless your 486's main BIOS has a setting for SCSI disks, the
entry it has doesn't effect the geometry for the SCSI drives; the SCSI
controller takes care of this for you.  OTOH, that space loss you see
could just be a misscalculation, it happens.  Besides, you're only
losing 5MB out of 1GB, does it really matter that much to you?

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world