Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:46:44 -0700
From:      Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        Nate <publisher@laptop.ompages.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new soldier in the ranks

Nate wrote:
> Using Win98 is not the same as knowing how to use computers.

Too true.  Personally I dislike the lack of control Windows 98 allows
the user.  NT is better, but it too complex for it's own good.  I
liked the fact that you could really tweak Windows 3.1 and get great
performance out of it.  I'm thinking FreeBSD will afford me the luxury
of control.  To quote my friend, "FreeBSD does tweaking like Windows
98 does crashing."

FTR, I'm a computer consultant.  I don't want to sound like I'm
boasting or anything.  I build computers and networks for a living,
and make an okay living at it.  I'm certified MCSE and A+.  My company
is certified MSP.  I've been using PCs since MS-DOS 3.3.  I like to
think I know how to use a computer, but I'm always finding new things
to learn.  Things like overclocking are an old concept, but 3D gaming
and Celerons have added a context to it that never existed before.

> You will find that this is a very exciting learning experience.

I was (just this evening) reading through Greg Lehey's, "The Complete
FreeBSD".  It's still sinking in, but I can see myself spending many
hours hacking away at a text console.  Part of me is elated to once
again have unix at my fingertips.  Part of me is shocked at how used
I had gotten to the "ease of use" of Windows.  I look forward to the
challenges running FreeBSD will present me.

> If you have trouble learning how to use FreeBSD I'm told RedHat 6.0
> is a good intro to unix-like OSes.

To be frank, while I think Linux has quite a few features that I like,
not to mention the media-presence to accelerate developement (it can
get over-accelerated, though), I don't like Linux as a concept on the
whole.

These days it seems, to me, that if you say you're a Linux user,
people assume things about you that probably aren't true, just like
if you say you're gay a lot of people envision "Priscilla Queen of the
Desert."

I know this is a can of worms I'm kicking here, but I don't like how
the GPL forces you to release your source code.  It's like saying that
if you comment on a movie, you have to explain the reasoning for your
comments in a public forum.  Along that same line, the BSD license, to
me, would be like not having to make an explaination no matter who
hears your comments.

> Good luck.

Thanks, I hope I won't need it.  :-)