Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:27:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Stormy Henderson <stormy@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network slowdown with rc5des

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Stormy Henderson wrote:

> A happy camper (John Dowdal, jdowdal@destiny.erols.com) once wrote...
> > There is a dramatic network slowdown on 3.0-stable when usign 100BT
> > cards and rc5des at the same time.  The rc5des process causes the
> > slowdown even if it is set to idprio 1.
>
> I think you have the priority backwards (or didn't type the 3 hard
> enough).  The manpage for idprio states:
>
>    Priority is an integer between 0 and RTP_PRIO_MAX (usually 31). 0 is
>    the highest priority
>
> Be happy...

I did idprio 1 -PID, where PID is the PID of the rc5des job.  IT worked,
because the rc5des process shows up with a nice value of 22.

Also from the idprio man page:

     A process with an idle priority will run only when no other process is
     runnable and then only if its idle priority is equal or greater than all
     other runnable idle priority processes.

This should imply that it doesn't matter whether I use 1 or 31 for
priority, because I do not have any other processes with idle priority.

Based on the behavior (and not te sources), it appears that the
ethernet-card-is-ready interrupt is placed into a queue to be scheduled
later, instead of immediately preempting the idprio processes.  IT also
appears that the interrupt will preempt the kernel idle loop causing
better performance if I kill -STOP the rc5des process.  The big question
is why the system behaves differently when its executing a idprio job and
its internal idle loop.

John