Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:43:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>
To:        andrews@technologist.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switching between connected/disconnected operation?

  will> The university you're sending mail from (isi.edu) has software
  will> for this purpose (well, sort of). ISI's DHCP client (dhclient)
  will> is good for when you connect to a network. Then a small shell
  will> script to ifconfig down the interface will do the "off" part
  will> of the job.

DHCP is fine to configure your interfaces dynamically, but has two
issues:

	1. you need to run a DHCP server on all locations
	2. (re)configuring named, nis, nfs, etc. requires hacking
	   scripts (as you said)

Maybe I should elaborate on my initial question: I know the config
switcher we'd like can be implemented by hacking any number of scripts
under /etc, and there are different ways to go about this. I was
wondering if anyone had done such a thing before, to avoid duplicate
effort. Since quite a few people seem to be interested in this, maybe
once a successful solution is found, it should make it into -current?

Lars