Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:36:40 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

On Mon, Jul 21, 1997 at 11:18:16AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> I have a whole pile of old PC parts that I'm using to build multiple
> routers.  FreeBSD is making all of this possible.  I don't know if I'm
> a typical case, but I do know what has frustrated me with this
> interprise to date.  This pile of PC parts are free, and I'm doing
> this in time I'd otherwise not be billing, and I don't have a lot of
> cash to buy an extra ethernet card (x 5) and an extra SCSI controller
> (x 5) and bunch of other things that people seem to tell me are cheap
> enough to buy.  FreeBSD works really well on these machines.
>
> My biggest complaint is the configuration of ethernet devices.  It
> would be nice if there were some easier way to do this automatically.

A question. The visual kernel config mode allows you to configure
the IRQ's, I/O addresses and such ... even if you have older cards.

All what Jordan wants to do is to choose more proper default settings.
IRQ 5 for sound cards and IRQ 10 for ethernet interfaces ...

But you should still be able to ,boot -c' and to reconfigure the
default settings by disabling the sound driver and using IRQ 5
for the network card.

This change should make it more easier to install PC's, that
now typically come with a soundcard and such ... You experts,
who still make routers out of 386er machines, _know_ how to
use the -c option ... But the newcomers with P100 and soundcard
possibly not ...

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD