Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:57:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateway computers

> I spoke with my contact at gateway today.  He said he has left messages
> with Bob Bruce about the status of the FreeBSD certification, but has
> received no word.

You should have him talk to me - Bob's notorious for returning phone
calls rarely, if ever. :-)  My phone number is in my finger entry
(finger jkh@freebsd.org) or look me up in Concord, CA information.

> He has collected ~60 e-mail related to FreeBSD for gateway, with some
> possible duplication.  However he is planning on grouping them up and
> sending them to corporate headquarters along with the certification stuff.

Sounds good to me.

> He has distributed several CDs to Gateway, and when customers call up and
> ask for Linux, he tells them that FreeBSD is available and gives them a
> CD.

We just got the Permedia II card back from XiG, who patched their X
server to actually work with it.  Once we get this back from them, we
can fulfill the original terms of the agreement by providing Gateway
with a FreeBSD + Xaccel CDROM that they can either buy at the XiG price
(since we can't pass that bit along for free, XiG would be upset :)
or a FreeBSD + XFree86 CDROM that they can provide to those who don't
wish to have the super-duper X server.

> He would like to get the lower end Server line certified also and that
> will take some special driver writing.  So lets get this project moved

Yeah, the MegaRAID stuff is still a real problem and I'd like to see a
solution to it soon but the hows and the whys are an open question.

- Jordan