Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:50:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Daniel Hagan <dhagan@cs.vt.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD offerings by Gateway 2000

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 02:13:11AM -0400, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
> > 	FYI, about 5 feet from where I'm typing this, is a genuine
> > 	Gateway 486/66E that was subsequently upgraded to a 100MHz
> > 	processor.  This box has been a dedicated FreeBSD box for
> > 	most of the 7 years since I bought it from Gateway.  Even
> > 	at such a tremendous age in high-tech years, it still makes
> > 	a great ISDN router, mailserver, webserver, ftpserver, NFS
> > 	fileserver, IMAP and a few other services.  You could say
> > 	I'm a satisfied customer who is   interested in new the
> > 	options.  A new mid range server would be a nice  replacement
> > 	for this old box.  Then again, if it ain't broke, why mess
> > 	with it.
>
> Just to play Daemon's Advocate for a second -- is this a good thing to
> point out?  Is the hardware vendor not going to think "Er, hang on,
> they're not going to want to upgrade their kit every year from me if
> I support this OS.  But if I support Win* then they're going to be
> upgrading every year. . ."?

	Hey, aren't we all daemon's advocates?... I guess you're the
Devil's advocate as well. ;-)

	You view is one take on it.  My point was more that I bought a
quality system and it's lasted.  I'm happy with the reliability.  This was
before the margins got so low that it became hard to predict what came in
your box.

	The reason the above system is in the corner is because I'm sitting
in front of a dual P-II 450 with 256MB.  If Gateway sold preconfigured
boxes like this with FreeBSD installled, I would consider them.  I am
particularly interested in having name-brand boxes with support that I can
drop off with consulting clients, and I told them this.

	Note, that I did mention that I upgraded the processor.  I didn't
mention that I upgraded the audio, it had none, the RAM, serial I/O
chipsets, the disk and added second AHA-1742 over the years.  I didn't want
to get into cataloging.

	In any event in the paragraphs I did not forward to the list I made
it clear that I was interested in what their products in a business context
and not my personal office.

cheers,

	Adrian
--