Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:27:30 +0100
From:      gurab <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>, "advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Hopkins FBI]

Wes Peters wrote:

> gurab wrote:
> >
> > You assume children play this type of game?
> >
> > I'd say you were very much mistaken, this type of game is aimed at a
> > (very) late teen - early twenties (and upwards) age group and that for
> > sure is not kids.
>
> Only someone still a child himself would make this assumption.

Without feeling the need myself to descend into name calling (perhaps a
reflection on MY own maturity) I would point out that the game in
question is not an action or arcade game, but in fact a thinking, puzzle
type game. As such it would tend to lean toward an adult (or at least
more mature young mind) audience - IMHO.

So ok, its made in a *slightly* OTT manner, but so what? A balanced mind
has no problems with that. However, not having your deep and educated
insight into such matters I will bow to such vastly superior knowledge
as you are attempting to display.

> > Also, to make so bold a leap and in the face of most current scientific
> > opinion on these matters is itself somewhat naive. By that I mean
> > blaming *violent* games for unbalanced children.
>
> And this wonderful scientific opinion has produced the utopia we now
> live in.  Gee, that's a comforting thought.

Indeed, my own sentiments exactly. However, seeing such *modern* child
raising practices in action around me every day and, on the whole, with
not inconsiderable success (fancy not even hitting your own children -
my, my, what is the world coming to?) I would say that you only get out
of interpersonal relationships that which you put into them.

> > Its the moral minority that screws up children's heads IMHO not computer
> > software. If the parents aren't interested / able to raise their own
> > children to be productive and well minded young adults, then that is
> > their (and subsequently society's) problem. A bad workman will always
> > blame his tools.
>
> It is the lack of shame and limits in our society that screws up everyone
> associated with it, not just the children.  Your failure to understand
> this just reiterates your skewed viewpoint, the result of decaces of
> unfortunate social engineering.

On the contrary, I feel myself to have a very open mind on these
subjects, something which you appear not to have. Problems in society
source from many avenues and to pinpoint one exactly is somewhat
foolish. By highlighting the failings of parents in the raising of their
children, I cover quite a few bases. I will admit that there are other
and significant sources of social decay - but as this is not a social
science forum I would suggest we terminate the discussion here.

> That doesn't mean FreeBSD should be not explored as a gaming platform,
> however.  How 'bout a nice sailing simulator?

This discussion was never about gaming on FreeBSD, who ever said it was?

--
A computer is for life, not just for Christmas
http://www.freebsd.org/