Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:38:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael R. Rudel" <mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <19970719221428.10703@gtn.com> Andreas Klemm writes:
> : Is FreeBSD turing PC's into workstations or is it only used
> : for lamer PC hardware ?!
>
> I have a whole pile of old PC parts that I'm using to build multiple
> routers.  FreeBSD is making all of this possible.  I don't know if I'm
> a typical case, but I do know what has frustrated me with this
> interprise to date.  This pile of PC parts are free, and I'm doing
> this in time I'd otherwise not be billing, and I don't have a lot of
> cash to buy an extra ethernet card (x 5) and an extra SCSI controller
> (x 5) and bunch of other things that people seem to tell me are cheap
> enough to buy.  FreeBSD works really well on these machines.
>
> My biggest complaint is the configuration of ethernet devices.  It
> would be nice if there were some easier way to do this automatically.
>
> Warner

Never seen it, but I've heard one or two flavors of Linux have a graphical
ifconfig... This sounds right up jkh or phk's isle, doesn't it? They could
do something that will (very) niftily save it to /etc/rc.conf or some such
thing..
Heck, maybe even right a graphical /etc/rc.conf editor. ;)

 --
Michael R. Rudel -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org
FreeBSD aerosmith.dyn.ml.org 3.0-CURRENT