Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:39:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross platform bookmarks and address books?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Seems cumbersome, but I see its usefulness.

I have a similar problem, I expect a lot of share it. I've never found
anything I'm completely comfortable with thought. Putting the links in a
web page is a simple solution but populating it by cutting and pasting
would be tedious (oh, want to book mark that, open another browser, deal
with any security you might have cut the link, maybe fill in some
additional info about the link, paste).

I would think if you have a small enough set of places where you are
commonly browsing from it might make more sense to have some batch
processes that kick off periodically and send the current bookmark files
to a central point, make it responsible for merging them all together and
forming a web page of it. Hell, maybe just rebuild from scratch each time
if you are using the url for the key. Get a file, add it to a db, replace
any duplicates if they exist.

If you don't want to use them via a web page then you could go the extra
step of building a new bookmark file and sending it out, keep each browser
in synch.