Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 00:35:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        jef53313@bayou.uh.edu, stuyman@confusion.net, asmodai@wxs.nl, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgra

> You are confusing the GPL with the GNU manifesto.

The GPL is an instrumentality of the GNU Manifesto, and not a very
good one, at that.  A better instrumentality of the GNU Manifesto
is the Cygnus eCOS license:

	http://www.cygnus.com/ecos/license.html

Nevertheless, it is an instrumentality of the manifesto.

> The GPL talks a lot about how software should be free and its
> freedom should be protected, but makes only a passing reference
> to patents in its preamble.

The GPL actually talks about software liberty, not software
freedom.  This is a common misconception, and the misuse of the
words "free" and "freedom" in the preamble perpetuates, apparently
intentionally, this misconception.  Probably to avoid the obvious
connotations of "liberate", "liberated", "liberal", and "libertine".

> It does not talk about intellectual property. It is perfectly
> possible to disagree with Stallman's agenda but agree with him
> on the suitability of the GPL for free software.

You should be aware of clause 9 of the GPL:

| 9. The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new
| versions of the General Public License from time to time. Such
| new versions will be similar in spirit to the present version,
| but may differ in detail to address new problems or concerns.
|
| Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the
| Program specifies a version number of this License which applies
| to it and "any later version", you have the option of following
| the terms and conditions either of that version or of any later
| version published by the Free Software Foundation.  If the
| Program does not specify a version number of this License, you
| may choose any version ever published by the Free Software
| Foundation.

AFAIK, this clause is in effect for most of the GPL'ed software
you reference.

You should be aware that there is currently a revision of the GPL
in progress, according to reports published on slashdot.org.  The
claims are that the revised license will be more commercially
tenable than the existing GPL, and that it will explicitly address
the intellectual proporty issues.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---