Date:      Tue,  4 May 99 15:45:51 -0400
From:      Kiakas <stefanos@traveler.e-scape.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgrade article)

Bill Fumerola wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Kiakas wrote:
>
> > > Only because they've been brainwashed with loud "free the code!"
> > > battle cries.
>
> > Statements like this are no way to advocate FreeBSD. Calling
> > potential users brainwashed does not gain FreeBSD any friends. Why are
> > some people so arrogant to presume they know what is best for
> > everyone?
>
> I wouldn't have joined this mailing list if my intentions were to make
> friends. The GNU license is sexy in pseudo-theory, and nothing more.
> Communism worked on paper too.

	If FreeBSD advocacy consists of being arrogant and dictating there
is only one way to do things then we're not helping to advance the FreeBSD
cause. The GPL is a license, use it if it meets your needs.

	The GPL certainly has some restrictions, but if someone develops
software and distributes it to the Unix community we have no right to
demand that they distribute it under our terms.

> > The only way to make FreeBSD more popular is to prove it provides
> > the best solution for a particular task. The average user, this
> > includes business users, do not care if the software is licensed under
> > GPL or BSD as long as it works.
>
> Users don't, developers do. I'd rather attract the latter.

	Why would any one develop software for FreeBSD if there are no
users?  We should also give developers a little credit. They're probably
able to make informed decisions without any arrogant statements from the
FreeBSD advocates.

stef