Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 00:18:21 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        garth@dogbert.systems.sa.gov.au, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: int link(const int inode, const char *name2)

#define quoting(Terry Lambert)
// > [This is on a BSDI machine, but BSDI and FreeBSD are at least half-brothers,
// > so here goes...]
// >
// > I've accidentally unlinked a file (or rather, had it unlinked for me by gzip
// > -- still my mistake) from the directory it was in.  The file is, however,
// > still open.  If I can get the inode (downloading lsof now), is it possible
// > to link it to the directory again?
//
// Ghah.
//
// You could manually mung the directory.

This will create a reference, but does not increment the inode refcount.

// If you were root and manually munged the directory it used to live in
// by using a binary editor on the block device (assuming it wasn't truncated

Can still be done, if you edit the block device to change the file's
inode and increment refcount.

// and nothing was created in its slot), then all you'd have to do is adjust
// the end pointer:
// It is easy to damage an FS this way.

Sure !  This is not child's play.  :)

					Jonny