Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:18:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, Michael Doyle <relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Advocacy

On Thursday,  1 April 1999 at 19:20:43 -0800, Nocturne wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> We have talked about this. The short answer is "yes", but it's got to
>>> either work from the CDROm or install onto the FAT32 system. Another
>>> improvement is to make it a 'newbie demo' version that would come up
>>> pretty for newbies with a lot of eye-catching demo stuff. We will
>>> definitely re-visit this issue. I'm going to be in Concord, CA the 7-8-9
>>> to visit with Jordan and the folks from WC. We'll talak about this &
>>> many other things!
>>
>> Cybernet were giving away a CD which runs FreeBSD directly from the CD
>> at USENIX last year.  It was a demo for their NetMax software, which
>> runs on FreeBSD, but it should be possible to modify it to run
>> straight FreeBSD.  Contact Michael Suarez <msuarez@cybernet.com>.
>
> The WC set already has a live filesystem on it, couldn't we just use
> that, then modify it for flashiness, like include a splash screen,
> full XF86 install and Mozilla?

Well, there's more than flashiness.  You need to be able to write to
the file systems, so you need a bit more.  Maybe something like
PicoBSD on the CD would be the way to go.  On the other hand, Cybernet
has already figured out how to do it.  I'm reasonably sure that they
wouldn't want money for the concepts (obviously they probably would
for NetMax, but that's not the issue).

Greg