Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:41:43 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross platform bookmarks and address books?

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 11:36, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > See the OpenLDAP documentation.  This is the most common
> > use of OpenLDAP.
>
> I've tried it(net/openldap2), but the server kept choking on the data
> netscape was trying to send.
>
> (I admit this is a lame bug report but I gave up in much frustration and
> nuked it)

Did you have the Netscape schema loaded?

I did the original input of the Netscape schema from the
documentation from Netscape and gave it to them for the
v2 LDAP protocol.  For v3, they had to add the OIDs back
in, but the schema for everything should have been the
same.

Historically, Netscape Directory Server (the Netscape LDAP
implementation) has had substructure schema elemenets that
were used by the client when doing the writes to the LDAP
directory.

I'm pretty darn sure that Kurt (Zelinga; founder of the
OpenLDAP project, based on the UMICH code and my patch
collection, back at the start) added the Netscape
compatability stuff into the OpenLDAP server as vendor
extensions in order to support the calendaring and
scheduling component of the commercial Communicator
product.

You should see the "quick start" guide; the FreeBSD ports
system means you need to start at step #8:

	http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html

Personally, I use it for directing email and for resolution
of IMAP4 servers with an IMAP4 proxy to permit load scaling
for email.

I've done the "address book thing" before, as well, but
you should not that not just anyone can write data to the
address book, unless they ar configured as a roaming
user, and have write permission to the user section of
the LDAP tree (you will need to write scripts to set this
up).

Probably the mailing lists are your best bet, since the
documentation is lagging (I personally dislike the format
of the FAQ-o-matic, but that's just my own reason for not
updating the docs).  See:

	http://www.openldap.org/lists/

You might also want to look at the LDAP books written by
Howes, and the IBM REdbook, which is actually very good;
see:

There are also some web sites and online articles:

-- Terry