Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org, pechter@lakewood.com
Subject:   Re: Boot file system idea!  Slick

Hi Michael Smith;  On 22-Jul-97 you wrote:
> Bill Pechter stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > If you think about it, think about making it a small DOS partition
> and
> > > not a BFS partition.
> >
> > Damn, that's slick.  Great IDEA!  If the kernel gets blown or corrupted
> > a simple copy from a dos floppy and it's fixed...
>
> ... this is just one small step from "boot from a kernel image on a
> DOS partition".
>
> > Slick.  Anyone else like this or is it just me?
>
> Yeah, I've always liked it.  The biggest argument you will hear
> against it is "backwards compatability", along with "mandatory
> MSDOSFS".  If/when Robert Nordier ever gets his VFATFS code finished,
> there might be a good chance of making this happen.

What I like about it is that it:

a.  Increases the size and complexity of a minimal kernel to include
    another file system not necessarily needed otherwise.

b.  Uses a standard file system.  Which standard?

c.  Makes FreeBSD (installation) dependant on MicroSoft.

d.  Allows everyone with a dos floppy (or without) to modify/destroy the
    O/S.

On the down side of things, one has to ask:

1.  What does it exactly buy?

    * A smaller boot image?  No
    * A simpler boot?        No.

The SysV bfs has SOME merit.  Except that it is very slow for some reason.

The (only) advantage is in a simplified & unified boot.  The files are
contigious, in a very simple directory.  All this is nullified when one
considers that it is an option.  So the 2nd, 3rd stage boot still need to
know multiple file system formats.

Note:  The above (my portion) is only worth $0.02 or less :-)

Simon