Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 22:59:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        stefanos@sentry.e-scape.net
Cc:        billf@chc-chimes.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgrade

> 	The GPL certainly has some restrictions, but if someone develops
> software and distributes it to the Unix community we have no right to
> demand that they distribute it under our terms.

There is an implicit demand to that effect, if they want the code
to become part of the kernel or part of any critical component
without which FreeBSD would not run.  Note that I said "run";
the GNU toolchain is immune from this restriction (though GNU
tar isn't, and it's in there by default now...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.