Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:34:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/25126: minor nits in whatis(1) command

>Number:         25126
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       minor nits in whatis(1) command
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	FreeBSD cfcl.com 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0:
        Fri Jul 28 14:30:31 GMT 2000
        jkh@ref4.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

	Actually, I'm not sure if this is a doc-bug or a sw-bug;
        it concerns bugs in the documentation support software.

        Anyway, here are the nits:

        *  A comment in apropos.sh contains the misspelled word
           "locailzed"; it should read "localized".

        *  The "test" operator can be a bit dangerous (e.g., if
           a newbie writes a script named "test" and has it call
           "apropos", which calls "test, ...).

        *  In its use as "whatis", apropos formats the first
           line of the output differently than the following
           lines.  Specifically, it leaves out all but one of
           the spaces that precede the dash in the first line.

>How-To-Repeat:

	The last problem listed above can be exercized by

          % whatis whatis

>Fix:

        In /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/man/apropos/apropos.sh:

          # Check for locailzed manpage subdirectories
          ---
          # Check for localized manpage subdirectories

          if test -z "$line" -a ! -z "$line2"; then
          ---
          if [ -z "$line" -a ! -z "$line2" ]; then

          ( printf -- "$line2"; echo $line; cat ) | $PAGER
          ---