Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 19:32:42 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, beef@cybertouch.org
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: enough about linux and microshit

At 05:47 PM 11/4/98 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
>beef@cybertouch.org writes:
>> 	And while I am bitching about the bs in the mail these days.
>> Tell me, you must agree there are a lot of books on winshit and
>> luunix. But very few on FreeBSD. Ever wonder why?
>
>One day a number of years ago I spent about an hour in the only local
>bookstore who would bother to stock a reasonable assortment of ORA
>books. Noticed the flood of "Linux" books. I was trying to do useful
>work with Linux back then. So I browsed. Didn't buy a thing. Didn't
>find a single book that could stand on its own had it not "Linux" in
>the title.
>
>--
>David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net
>The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
>capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

---
I'm just blabbering here.. I apologize in advance.  I'm a victim of being
half asleep and the stupid Eudora beeper going off.  This probably has more
to do with the quoted string rather than your remarks, David :-)
---
Well people sometimes don't go for the obscure either.  Sometimes we don't
see books on something because it's well written on its own.  As it goes,
my only piece of UNIX-Related book is my BSD 4.4 Systems Managers Manual,
and that was given to me..  Most of it is just a paper version of generic'd
man pages, where the commands first showed up, the syntax, etc.

However it does contain material on UUCP (a big deal at the time when I was
given it), and things like that.  As it goes I have domain names and SMTP
servers, so don't need to use UUCP.

I just didn't like Linux because of FreeBSD being my first (besides AIX and
Tenon's MachTen) plunge into Unix.  I spent most of my time just browsing
/usr/bin and things like that, doing a man and finding out about commands.
Most of my first year was dedicated to finding stuff out.  As it went, many
of the people on MUD's I was on at the time were very helpful in the things
like untarring a file, and things like that.  That combined with some
common sense, got me to where I am now.

Reading material isn't everything.  Some people rely too much on books,
others would refuse to use one at all..  I find books are good reference,
but not when I'm doing a cvsup once a week, and chasing the latest version.

For the longest time I had an ls.bat in my C:\ on my windows machine as
well, because I got screwed up crossing the platforms.

Yes there should be more FreeBSD books, or BSD-related materials on the
shelves.  But at the moment (and it's been that way for a little while),
people are talking about Linux.  Amongst things like this certification
idea they've been talking about in -advocacy the last few weeks, hopefully
we can see some curbing of that. Personally if I saw "Works with FreeBSD"
on my 3com card box, I'd be kinda curious what the heck it is :)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998