Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 10:16:11 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Advocacy

Bill Swingle wrote:

> I totally agree with the previously said benefits of some sort of
> promotional disk. That said, I think it is important that, while
> impressing the user and showing them the benefits of FreeBSD, the disk
> should not misrepresent what an actual FreeBSD install is like
> after-the-fact. I like the apache idea for the demo disk but it doesnt
> seem like the kind of thing that we would want in a _real_ install. Just
> imagine the user running the demo, getting excited about FreeBSD, then
> doing a real install and running into twm. Ugh.

And that's another thing I'd like to see changed. Bob wanted to talk
about improvements to the install process, and we'd like to see another
layer of menu after "Congrats! You've now got FreeBSD installed..." that
would allow them to select from some preconfigured installs including a
few different desktops, a webserver, a SAMBA server, etc. or simply
ignore all of those and jump right into the packages and ports stuff.
This can all be done with scripts that call pkg_add and drop config
files (.xinitrc and .fvwmrc, for example) into their home directories.
As long as we stay away from OPTIMIZING X Windows for their graphics
card, we can make decent installs without having to do any probing.

It's important that we consider any "improvements" we make from the
perspective of the SysAdmin user as well as Joe LinWin. We don't want to
make it harder for him to do his job, but adding more options doesn't
impact him unless we overrun the CD. Since this is just a few K of
scriptwork except for programs like Netscape, we're not in danger of
that. Worst comes to worst, we'll have an 'insert CD #3' message dialog
for programs that don't exist on CD #1.

I'd like to see a preconfigured disk-install, too, that would be even
more brainless than the existing Novice install.
--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media