Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:11:29 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org, pechter@lakewood.com
Subject:   Re: Boot file system idea! Slick

In message <XFMail.970721232730.Shimon@i-Connect.Net> Simon Shapiro writes:
: a.  Increases the size and complexity of a minimal kernel to include
:     another file system not necessarily needed otherwise.

Not necessarily.  If you have a /boot/kernel that is a on FAT and a
/kernel that is on a ufs partition, then you needn't have MSDOS
support in your kernel.  mtools would suffice.  Not the most desirable
or easiest way to do this, but it would suffice.  I've done this on
the OpenBSD/arc stuff for a while when the msdosfs stuff was not stable.

: b.  Uses a standard file system.  Which standard?

There is nothing more standard than the FAT file system :-)

: c.  Makes FreeBSD (installation) dependant on MicroSoft.

Not necessarily.  Booting off a FAT file system doesn't mean booting
MS-DOS.  However, that would require separate boot blocks than are
standard, or to have a boot loader that  is named MSDOS.SYS.

: d.  Allows everyone with a dos floppy (or without) to modify/destroy the
:     O/S.

They can do that now :-)

The above is just my two cents from having dealt with a system that
you had to boot off of a FAT file system, but that also gave you the
freedom to set env vars to tell it how to do its thing.  The current
BIOSes that are found in PCs may make this situation radically
different than it was for me with the ARC BIOS.

Warner