Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:10:19 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User unknown: Lie to Spammers?

At 8:52 AM -0800 2002/02/23, Jason C. Wells wrote:

>  Is there a way that I can send a 'user unknown message' to a suspected
>  spammer?

	Nope.

>  I am hoping that spammers automagically clean their lists by reading error
>  messages.

	Nope.  They make damn sure that they never get any bounces (they
couldn't afford them if they did), so they will never, ever clean an
address off their list.  Besides, if they cleaned any addresses off
their lists, that would reduce them in size, and the size of their
spam lists are the *only* thing that they have to spout off about.

>  My spam over here is just getting out of hand.  I filter it off, but I
>  would rather not donwload it in the first place.  If I can convince
>  spammers that this address is defunct, maybe I can slow them down.

	Sorry, guy.  Ain't gonna happen.  You can install server-side
software so that you are more capable of intelligently filtering it
before it gets downloaded, but that's about it.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.