Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:08:01 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading just bind

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barney Wolff" <barney@pit.databus.com>

> I built and installed /usr/ports/net/bind9 with no problems on a
> 4.2 stable from 1/19/01.  It goes in /usr/local/sbin and works
> just fine for me.  Command args are different and it's a bit
> pickier about the zone files, but getting it running took only
> a few minutes.  Added benefit is I can fall back without pain.

Speaking of bind9, are there any plans to replace bind8 with bind9 in the
core FreeBSD system, or is 9 considered still too new?  I understand that
8.2.3 fixes the current round of security bugs, but reading the ISC web site
I get the impression they're pushing the 9.x series over the 8 series.

My own understanding is that 9.x is a major improvement in codebase (as in
total rewrite) over the 8.x series, but I imagine if I'm wrong someone will
correct me...