Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:45:04 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [MAILER-DAEMON: Returned mail: Service unavailable]

Tom scribbled this message on Jul 22:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:
>
> > How annoying. Bruce Evan's site is over spam-rampant and hates us poor dynamic
> > IP folks. I'm about ready to ask my ISP for a DNS entry that points to nowhere,
> > just so that I can send people like this mail.
>
>   Huh?  It isn't over spam-rapant.  "micron.efn.org" does not exist, so
> why should his system accept mail with a bogus sender address?  If his
> system should need to bounce the message, it isn't going to be able to
> return the message either, because micron.efn.org does not exist.

well.. i have the same problem... we fix the from in the actual header,
but there isn't anything we can really do with sendmail unless we really
want to become "spammers"...  also, he gets a dynamic ip address from
efn.. meaning that he has to change his hostname, and then restart
sendmail for it to become valid...

>   Since your address appears to be "j_mini@efn.org", and "efn.org" does
> exist, why don't you just use that?

well...  there is one problem... efn.org is over a 14.4k modem, to my
28.8k modem, that happens to be dialed into efn's terminal server, but
goes over to a local university which we use for inet connectivity...
so connecting to that host would go over the above, then back from the
university to efn.org...  plus, we run FreeBSD on our systems.. so it
is possible, but problematic...  considering that he can also dial
directly into efn it would mean needing to have two completely differnt
configurations...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD