Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [MAILER-DAEMON: Returned mail: Service unavailable]

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Tom scribbled this message on Jul 22:
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:
> >
> > > How annoying. Bruce Evan's site is over spam-rampant and hates us poor dynamic
> > > IP folks. I'm about ready to ask my ISP for a DNS entry that points to nowhere,
> > > just so that I can send people like this mail.
> >
> >   Huh?  It isn't over spam-rapant.  "micron.efn.org" does not exist, so
> > why should his system accept mail with a bogus sender address?  If his
> > system should need to bounce the message, it isn't going to be able to
> > return the message either, because micron.efn.org does not exist.
>
> well.. i have the same problem... we fix the from in the actual header,
> but there isn't anything we can really do with sendmail unless we really
> want to become "spammers"...  also, he gets a dynamic ip address from
> efn.. meaning that he has to change his hostname, and then restart
> sendmail for it to become valid...

  Yes, but the envelope sender is wrong.  Mail servers are perfectly
justified in refusing mail with an envelope sender containing a non
existant domain.

  Also, if your envelope sender is wrong, you will lose mail.

> >   Since your address appears to be "j_mini@efn.org", and "efn.org" does
> > exist, why don't you just use that?
>
> well...  there is one problem... efn.org is over a 14.4k modem, to my
> 28.8k modem, that happens to be dialed into efn's terminal server, but
> goes over to a local university which we use for inet connectivity...
> so connecting to that host would go over the above, then back from the
> university to efn.org...  plus, we run FreeBSD on our systems.. so it
> is possible, but problematic...  considering that he can also dial
> directly into efn it would mean needing to have two completely differnt
> configurations...

  Huh?  What does this have to do with e-mail addresses?  The connectivity
is irrelevant.  It also has nothing to do with dynamic addresses.  Use
"-f" flag to sendmail to force the proper envelope sender.

> --
>   John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
>   Cu Networking
>
>   Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD

Tom