Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:20:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Signal 11 problem: sh dies, user's can't log in!!

Welp, I'm back, with the problem of the week :-) .

Several times, lately, my box that serves as email host and web server has
been getting itself into a state where when a user logs in, sh dies with a
signal 11.  Sessions that are open before this state sets in remain fine,
and I can still log in as root and look around.  Everything (swapspace,
processes, etc.) seems fine, except for the signal 11 behavior.

Sampe syslog output:
Apr 29 16:38:41 itsdsv1 /kernel: pid 8739 (sh), uid 1154: exited on signal 11

The system can be up just fine for several days with no signs of trouble,
and then, seemingly out of the blue, it happens.  The only solution I've
found thus far is to reboot.  Not a happy thing for my users!!

How should I proceed to track down the problem?

Some background about the system:
	running FreeBSD 2.1-stable (supped 3/16/96)
	Using NIS (almost 500 users), quotas
	Apache 1.0.2, popper, imapd
	Pine 3.93 w/patches from Guy Helmer

	ASUS P55TP4XE P100, 64 MB 60ns RAM, 512k PB cache

Thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X