Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:36:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami)
To:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org, br@stiller.netland.inka.de
Subject:   Re: print/teTeX-beta port

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>

 * You're libwww is the wrong version.  I know it works with libwww-5.2.6,
 * because that's what it's using on my machine here, and on hub, and on
 * freefall (3.1-stable machines all of them).

I did use libwww-5.2.6.  In fact the periodic package building (which
always starts with an empty /usr/local) was failing just until now.
Justin's commit to www/libwww and my (still uncommitted, posted to
this list) fix to teTeX-beta was necessary to get it going again.

HTXML.h was including xmlparse.h, which wasn't installed by the libwww
port so I have no idea how it worked for you, unless you somehow had
an old copy of that file already under /usr/local.

 * I'm beginning to think that this might be simpler if ports like these
 * were duplicated in the doc repository (doc/ports?) with Makefiles that
 * defaulted to installing them under /usr/doc/app/{bin,share,...}
 * instead.  We could then merge in changes from the main ports to the
 * copies in doc/ after testing that they still work properly.
 *
 * This would work, but is a lot of duplication.

If the stuff that docproj depends on are moving too fast (and breaking
a lot along the way) in the main ports tree, I agree maybe it's a good
idea to put them in their own repository.

I don't particularly mind the duplication (it's only port skeletons
after all) but this is a different situation, when a single port works
for some people but not for others. :)

And the other mail:

 * "It works for me", and did when I installed it on hub and freefall about
 * a week ago.  You may find it simpler to install the package until any
 * new wrinkles with the port are sorted out.

But if it doesn't work for *me* (on the package building machine),
there's no package! ;)

-PW