Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:28:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

> The visual config stuff is neat, and can be a lifesaver... but requiring
> users to do it is going to bite, *hard*.  I had to help a (very technical)
> friend go through the process -- this is someone who had installed linux on
> his system with no problem, he's dealt with funky PC hardware before, etc.
> And yet he needed help to config the kernel before booting.
>
> I really think forcing more people to do it is bad.

Then it all depends on your perspective.  Personally, every time I do an
install on one of my machines that still has an NE2000 (quite a few) I
have to go into the editor and change it to 300/10.  Regardless of how we
set the default, *SOME* users are going to have to change the setting.
That's life.  The question is what do MOST people use, so that the fewest
people possible have to change the config when they install.

It really isn't that hard to change in the visual editor, (IMHO), and it
is sure nicer now that the installed kernel gets the values selected on
the initial boot saved to it, so you only have to edit it once (usually.)
That was a bit of a pain way back when.  :)

Later......						<Doug>