Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:56:37 +0200
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <UZS106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi Everybody ....

At 2:01 Uhr +0200 on 21.07.1999, Dutch Collins wrote:
>Have fun. I think this ppp primer is a good place to start.
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html
>
>Also do a search, ppp, network, and check the handbook. The primer
>covers win95.

Thanks ! I have an empty directory /usr/share/doc/tutorials/ppp, where I
expected this pedantic primer. I'll have to download it in pieces and read
it offline, telephoncosts here in germany are incredible high. German
telekom. And its not part of the live filesystem (CD 2)..., at least its
not in /usr/share/doc. (Btw, why are the long filesnames not supported here
under Win95 ?)

But my PPP (tun0) is running, since yesterday, thanks to the very brillant
man ppp and the ppp.config.sample file. For me, the handbook was too
confusing, when it came to editing ppp.conf. But using two kinds of PPP is
a different thing. I think I should have a user "ppp", using pppd, there
was an example somewhere in the handbook. Maybe I am seeing problems where
no problems are... ;-) Well, newbies...

Now, I have mainly two questions: (1) What hostname should I use ? Sendmail
finds a SMTP host here without any configurations on my side, maybe this is
part of PPP or DNS, but root gets mails saying that this host doesnt allow
everybody to use it, especially not a host without a proper hostname. I
think I have to give apache a hostname too, in httpd.conf, that I need for
playing with perl. How could I when I have dynamic IP and the proper
hostname is never the same ?

(2) I cant get the "easy" leafnode running. Do I have to create all
directories by hand, /var/spool/news/* ? Empty files too ? I have created
two directories with owner news, out.going and interesting.articles. Since
then fetchnews doesnt complain anymore, that it couldnt open those dirs, it
says nothing....

PPP, I have an old UART, an old 28800 modem, am using 38400, which is much
faster than 28800 or 57400. 3 - 4 kB per second seems ok. Sometimes I have
broken links, dont know why. German Telekom is providing the modemservice
to the university here.......for "free"...

Sorry for my baaaad english and best wishes from Bonn,

Heiko